Mystery surrounds the original date and location of the Royal Lawn Bowling Club. The Edmonton Bulletin June 10, 1916, cites normal opening of the Civil Service Lawn Bowling Club will be held this Saturday afternoon at three clock on the grounds of the Parliament Buildings.
However, another source states the green was opened on Canada day in 1918 and the Civil service bowled there until 1923 when it went public and The Royal Lawn Bowling Club was formed.
Another source states that the first three years after 1923 the green was located at the Government House (the club then moved to the Legislative Grounds).
However it happened we are still going strong – in 2023 we are celebrating our 100th Anniversary and we are already planning major activities and events for that time.
It is an exciting time to be a ROYAList!!